SUBANG JAYA: The Selangor police chief yesterday said he was satisfied with the way his men had carried out the probe into the sexual assault and murder of 8-year-old Nurin Jazlin Jazimin.
Responding to the civil suits filed by Nurin's father, Jazimin Abdul Jalil, last Thursday, Datuk Khalid Abu Bakar said: "My men have done their best in the investigation and I have no complaints. I am a bit disappointed by the suits but I will take them in stride."
Khalid said this after the launch of a crime-prevention seminar at a hotel here yesterday in conjunction with the National Crime Prevention Month.
"This is part and parcel of the job, and my men and I will not dwell on this matter.
"Nurin's case is still open.
"He has the right to file the civil suits but they will not discourage my men from carrying out their duties and responsibilities.
"Once the DNA Profiling Act is passed by Parliament, it will give a new dimension to the case."
The DNA Identification Bill 2008, in the pipeline since 2001, seeks to make the extraction of DNA samples from the accused compulsory in some instances.
On Thursday, Jazimin filed two suits against the police and the government at the Kuala Lumpur High Court Registry for negligence and defamation. The suits, which were filed through Messrs Akbardin & Co, coincided with the girl's one-year death anniversary.
Jazimin is suing the police and government over circulation of Nurin's post-mortem pictures over the Internet and on their alleged defamatory statements that he lost his daughter because of his alleged involvement with loan sharks.
The Inspector-General of Police, Selangor police chief, Petaling Jaya police chief and the government were named as defendants.
Jazimin, claimed that the defendants were negligent in allowing the photos to be circulated on the Internet which traumatised his family.
In the defamation suit, Jazimin sued the police and the government for RM2 million in general damages, exemplary and aggravated damages for tarnishing his reputation.
Nurin, a Year Two pupil of SK Desa Setapak, was abducted some 500m from her house in Section 1, Wangsa Maju on Aug 20 last year.
Her sexually ravaged body was found in a sports bag outside a shoplot in PJS 1, Petaling Jaya, 28 days later.
Khalid also voiced his concern that certain goldsmiths in the state had installed sub-standard surveillance equipment.
"Sometimes when a robbery occurs at a goldsmith and police review the closed-circuit television camera recordings to identify the suspects, the image is unclear or blurry.
"There were instances where there were no images at all."
Meanwhile, Nurin Jazlin's family held a prayer session yesterday to commemorate the first anniversary of her disappearance.
The prayer was held at the family's home at the Kampung Baru Air Panas flats in Setapak. It was attended by more than 250 people.
- Sunday Times