By ANDREW SAGAYAM
KUALA LUMPUR: Police will send DNA samples of a suspect identified in the abduction of Sharlinie Mohd Nashar to their counterparts in the United States soon.
Federal CID director Commissioner Datuk Mohd Bakri Zinin said the suspect, although not caught yet, had been identified.
“We obtained the DNA samples and will send them to the US for further tests, once we have approval to do so,” he said, but declined to comment further on their findings when met at his office in Bukit Aman here yesterday.
Comm Mohd Bakri said police would continue their search for Sharlinie and welcomed any information on the girl from the public, but warned against false information.
“Please think of Sharlinie’s parents and family members. We don’t want to mislead or give them false hopes,” Comm Mohd Bakri said, adding that police would also check on false info via e-mail, letters and phone calls.
Sharlinie has been missing since Jan 9. Although it has been 85 days, her father Mohd Nashar Mat Hussain still believes she is alive.
“I can’t concentrate on work and I think of her all the time. I still believe that she is out there, alive,” he told reporters in a subdued tone.
Yesterday, Sharlinie’s family received RM2,000 from the Petaling Jaya Selatan Umno division to ease their financial burden. Mohd Nashar said he earned RM40 a day.
Sharlinie’s mother Suraya Ahmad was silent, speaking up only once to plead for the little girl’s safe return.
“I know she is still alive,” she said, holding back tears.
- The Star