Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Will There Be A Conclusion To Nurin's Murder Case?

By Nur Qalbi Mohd Reda

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 24 (Bernama) -- Tomorrow marks the 100th day since eight-year-old Nurin Jazlin Jazimin was found dead after she was abducted and held in captivity for 27 days.

Malaysians shared the grief and anger over the fate that had befallen Nurin, affectionately known as "Kak Ngah", and demanded that her murderer be apprehended, brought to justice and slapped with a punishment that befitted the crime.

Nurin, a Year Two pupil of Sekolah Rendah Kebangsaan Desa Setapak, was reported missing after she went alone to a night market near her house in Section 1, Wangsa Maju.

Her body was recovered 27 days later, stuffed in a bag and left in front of a business premise in Petaling Jaya. A post-mortem revealed that she had been sexually abused.

For Nurin's parents, it was an agonising wait for developments on the case. Nurin's mother, Norazian Bistaman, 35, said she and her husband as well other family members were tired of waiting for positive news from the police.

In fact, they felt disheartened because the police no longer updated them on the case.

"In the early days of the case, the police came or contacted us regularly but now they no longer get in touch with us. Now, we have to call the police for updates," she told Bernama today.

What was even more disheartening, she said, was the fact that each time they contacted the police, the response would be the same, that the case "is still under investigation".

"But we still need to wait for the updates from the police ... we can't be looking for the murderer on our own," she said.

She said she still receives SMS messages, including from Sabah and Sarawak, wanting the police to nab the criminal at once.

Her wish for a new home to get over the tragedy came true on Dec 1. The family has moved to Kampung Air Panas Baru in Setapak from Wangsa Maju.

"With the new year around the corner, the whole family resolves to go on with our daily lives calmly after having gone through the bitter experience," she said.

The president of a welfare association of former intelligence personnel, Mustafa Abdul Rahman, who was involved in the search for Nurin before her body was found, said he was confident that the police would eventually nab Nurin's murderer.

"I'm confident of the way the police work. Their credibility should not be questioned. I myself have experienced solving cases like this," he said when asked about the public's hope for the police to conclude the case fast.

Mustafa said the police had their own way of solving a case. "Only that it's either slow or fast," he said.

A blogsite,, created by Nurin's uncle Jasni Abdul Jalil, to help locate Nurin in August, was still receiving feedback from the public who wanted to know the progress of the case.

Last Wednesday, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan denied that the police had reached a dead end in the case.

He said the police were still investigating the murder and they cannot reveal the progress of the investigations to the media.


No comments: