Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Cross Country: Help them find their daughter

Norazian Bistaman hugs the school uniform worn by her daughter Nurin Jazlin while her husband Jazimin Abdul Jalil looks on.(inset)Nurin Jazlin Jazimin often goes to the pasar malam


By : Fay Angela D’cruz and Lee Shi-Ian

KUALA LUMPUR: It has been two weeks since 8-year-old Nurin Jazlin Jazimin disappeared and there is still no news of her whereabouts.

City police have formed a special task force, headed by Sentul police chief ACP K. Kumaran, to find the girl, and members of the unit are following up on several leads.

However, city police chief DCP Zul Hasnan Najib Baharudin, who confirmed this, declined to elaborate.

"I urge the public to come forward and help police in tracing the girl," he said.

Nurin Jazlin’s father, Jazimin Abdul Jalil, is conducting a daily search for his daughter and has combed almost the entire Klang Valley for her.

The 33-year-old taxi driver’s efforts to locate his daughter, the second of four children, has been futile so far but he is not giving up.

Nurin Jazlin, a Year Two pupil at SK Desa Setapak, failed to return home after going to the pasar malam in Section 1, Wangsa Maju, at 8.30pm on Aug 20.

An eyewitness claimed that he saw the girl being dragged into a white van.

"Nurin would usually go to the pasar malam with her 9-year-old sister," said Jazimin, adding that she went for religious classes during the day.

However, he said on the day she went missing, her mother Norazian Bistaman, 35, allowed her to go alone, thinking that nothing would happen to her as the pasar malam was located only about 500m from their home.

Jazimin said his wife cried every day, pining for their daughter.

Nurin Jazlin suffers from high blood pressure and kidney problems and her parents are worried that she is not taking her medication.

"My wife is worried sick and she feels so helpless, blaming herself for what has happened."

Jazimin said his daughter liked to go to the pasar malam and would ask for permission before she went.

"Please help find my daughter. We miss her very much and we are worried for her safety as well as her health."

Police had recorded more than 30 statements from various witnesses.

More than 300 personnel from the police, Rela, City Hall and Rukun Tetangga have participated in search operations over the past six days.

Jazimin said he was grateful for the outpouring of help from concerned Malaysians and well-wishers who had visited him to give encouragement and support.

= New Straits Times

No comments: